and I'm feeling good

Welcome, folks, to Light of a New Day. This blog project was started back in 2010 by Jake and Sydnee. Over the years, several others have left their mark, by contributing articles, their time, and love for Christ. The blog has went through some dry spells, because - let's face it - we all have moments where posting happy thoughts isn't quite possible. For Jake and Syd both, someone shot the bird dead out of the sky. Unfortunately for them, that bird was a phoenix - and baby, it's back. What you can expect are posts. Maybe not regular, and maybe not all of them will be happy. This phoenix is an honest phoenix, life isn't perfect - and people need to stop acting and teaching like it is. This is Light of a New Day. a REAL day. If you have any thoughts or comments, would like to drop us a contribution, or would like to join our team - drop me a line at trun4rth@yahoo.com

God Bless,
Attractive Narrator Voice

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Out of the Darkness



Hello all! So... we've all been absent for a while. Yikes. Well... here's the good news! I've got a new computer and I LOVE IT! And I'm living in my own apartment. With my own Internet. What does this mean? Well! Hopefully it means that I will be available a lot more and will get to blog often. I'll try my best. Today I want to talk about suicide awareness.

First, here are some facts about suicide.

1) Every 13.7 minutes, someone in the U.S. dies by suicide.

2) Nearly 1,000,000 people make a suicide attempt every year.

3) 90% of people who die by suicide have a diagnosable and treatable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.

4) Most people with mental illness to not die by suicide.

5) Recent data puts yearly medical costs for suicide at nearly $100 million (2005).

6) Men are nearly 4 times more likely to die by suicide than women. Women attempt suicide 3 times as often as men.

7) Suicide rates are highest for people between the ages of 40 and 59.

8) White individuals are most likely to die by suicide, followed by Native American peoples.

These facts were found at http://www.afsp.org/ Click the link to learn more about suicide.

Now, for my story. Well... the short story anyway. November 24, 2009 I lost my Uncle Andy to suicide. It ripped my world apart. I didn't realize it at the time, but that's when I began my struggle with depression. Over the next 2 1/2 years, I hit my all-time low and almost took my own life and seriously considered it a few other times. Today, I am thankful that I didn't. Today, I remember all those people who reached out to me. Today, I spread the word of suicide to all who will listen. If my efforts save even one life, it is worth it. But hopefully, it will save several lives. 

Sunday there was an Out of the Darkness walk here in Fulton. The point of the walk is to raise money to give to AFSP (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention) for suicide research and awareness. It was the first walk to be held in Fulton. We had a good turn out. It was quite an emotional day as I not only remembered my uncle, but also relived my battle. I am doing much better now than I was 2 years ago. But I encourage you, whether it is you or a friend struggling. Reach out! Help them!  Get help! Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Recognize the warning signs. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). 

Warning signs:

  • Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself.
  • Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or buying a gun.
  • Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
  • Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
  • Talking about being a burden to others.
  • Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs.
  • Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly.
  • Sleeping too little or too much.
  • Withdrawing or feeling isolated.
  • Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge.
  • Displaying extreme mood swings.
These are the big warning signs. If you see these warning signs, INTERVENE! Even if you're wrong, isn't that better than being right and doing nothing? Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If these describe you, GET HELP! Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Please. Please. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). And always remember that you are not alone.

Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

No comments: